()Across the country (and truly the world) right now we are dealing with a varying degree of social distancing. Because of this many churches have followed the advice and recommendations of the CDC to close their doors. However (and here's the awesome part!), churches around the country have began flooding the internet with Bible studies and worship services in an effort to continue ministering to their flock, neighbors and community.
Now we have a choice. We get to choose where we place our focus. We can either focus solely on trying to quell the cabin fever we will inevitably begin to feel, or we can focus on the beautiful opportunity we have before us!
As Paul was closing out his letter to the Church at Phillipi, he wanted to remind them to focus and think about the right things.
"In conclusion, my brothers and sisters, fill your minds with those things that are good and that deserve praise: things that are true, noble, right, pure, lovely, and honourable.", Phillipians 4:8, GNB
So your focus matters! Lets take a look at some of the things you can do as a family to keep Jesus central to your quarantine.
1. I have suggested this site to you before. Here's your chance to try them out for free! Because they know many churches are closing their doors, they recognized that families will possibly no longer have access to children's Bible study and worship services. It may be hard for younger children to focus on an adult worship service. To that end, they are offering some of their worship and devotions for free. Here's the link: https://www.gominno.com/lp/church-at-home/
2. Use this time wisely! One of the reasons so many of us busy parents don't have Bible studies with our kids at home is time. We are always on the move so we don't have the time to plan and read scripture with or to our kids. During this time that everyone and everything is shut down we have nothing BUT time! Let's use it to God's glory!! Since Easter is coming up, you could start there.
3. SWAG FB page. We have started two different video series. Molding the Clay is our series for our youngest SWAG members (Clay: preschool). A number of guest readers will read a Bible story from Jesus Calling: Storybook Bible by Sarah Young. You can use this as your bedtime story for your little ones. For our elementary (Fearless, k-5) aged members, we've started Fearlessly Focused. These videos are about 10-15 minutes in total. During these we will walk through a Bible lesson. Feel free to use the video as a starting point for a deeper conversation about the truth of God's Word.
4. Get your kids up and moving!! SEEDs is another ministry that I've suggested to you before. They have many videos on YouTube of worship music and scripture set to music.
5. Google!! Easter is one of the holidays that makes me concerned as a parent. I've always wanted to make sure my kids know the importance of what we celebrate on this holiday. It isn't about chocolate, or bunnies, or spring or even eggs. It's about the resurrection of Christ! The tomb was EMPTY!! Use google to find easy crafts and Bible studies to focus your minds on this truth!
6. As a family, set a goal of how many verses you'd like to memorize together. Set up a chart on the refrigerator with everyone's name on it. As a family member is able to recite a verse, place a mark next to their name. See who can recite the full number first!
These are just a couple things that your family can hopefully use to bless your time together. Don't forget to discuss GRACE. With families being this closely packed in with each other, it will be easy for everyone to lose grace and kindness toward each other. Use this time to discuss the beauty of God's grace toward us and how He expects that we respond to each other the same way.